|50 New Year’s Resolutions for a More Beautiful You!|
Quit bad beauty habits
1. Quit Nail biting. Not only are chipped nails unsightly, but did you know that you can get worms from biting your fingernails? Wearing coloured nail varnish can help you stop.
2. Quit picking on your skin and pimple popping. These habits can lead to facial scarring.
3. Stop smoking.
4. Stop using tanning beds, which can increase your risk of skin cancer. Try fake tans instead!
5. Clean out your closet. Check out Anna's tips on Capsule Wardrobes.
6. Reorganize your makeup drawer.
7. Clean out your makeup bag.
8. Toss your pillowcases in the wash every week, especially in the summer to remove the build up of sweat and oils from your face and hair, which can cause breakouts.
9. Clean your mobile phone at least once a week. Ever notice that the right side of your jaw has a few more blemishes than you'd expect? That could be from all the bacteria on your mobile! You can use a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol on a tissue and gently wiping down your phone.
10. Don’t share makeup with friends! This is the easiest way to transfer germs, get a pink eye or even cold sores (herpes).
11. Avoid trying makeup testers at makeup counters for this same reason.
12. Get rid of your mascara every 6 months as they are a breeding ground for bacteria. You can attach a label to your mascara with the ‘expiry’ date or the date of opening to remind you when you’ll have to throw it out.
13. Throw out your old makeup sponges after use to prevent re-using dirty and bacteria-laden sponges.
14. Clean your lip and eye pencils every month by sharpening them.
15. Clean your makeup brushes weekly to prevent the build up of dirt and oils, which can lead to breakouts and infections.
Try a new Look
16. Try a new beauty dare once a month! It may be red lipstick or winged eye liner, who knows – you might find a new look that suits you.
17. Experiment with new fashion trends. Breaking out from the usual black and adding in a new colour or accessory can instantly transform any outfit.
18. Change your hairstyle - If you can't remember the last time you got a different style, now is the perfect opportunity to go a little shorter, get a fringe, or add a few face-framing layers.
Better shopping habits
19. Get the perfect shade of foundation by using your jawline to test. This is the most evenly toned area of your face. Don’t use your arm or hand as your skin colour may be completely different!
20. Wear blush for that instant pick-me-up!
21. Find affordable style and save money eg. Primarni and H&M
Get a healthier glow!
22. Get at least 6-8 hours of beauty sleep. This gives your body enough time to revitalise itself.
23. Relax and give yourself a time out now and then to reduce stress and accelerated ageing that goes with it.
24. Schedule a beauty date with your best friend, sister, or mum. That way, you can both feel indulged and have some quality catch-up time.
25. Hit the gym at least 3 times a week for a naturally glowing complexion and a hot body!
26. Drink more water – at least 2 litres of water a day to flush toxins out of your body and keep skin looking supple and healthy
27. Eat more good-for-your-skin foods like vegetables, salmon, almonds, and berries.
28. Take a multivitamin every day - I love Holland & Barrett Pure Cod Liver Oil Multi-vitamins.
Gain new beauty habits
29. Maintain your eyebrows with monthly threads or waxes. Clean eyebrows instantly improve your look!
30. Commit to a skin-care routine. Try a new regimen for at least two weeks before changing products, as this is the amount of time it usually takes for a formula's results to show.
31. Apply a moisturiser with at least SPF 30 to your face, neck and body prevent premature aging.
32. Don’t forget to apply SPF on your hands, especially before driving to prevent the sun’s UV effects on your hands!
33. Start using an eye cream. It's never too early or late to fight fine lines and wrinkles!
34. Use a body brush a few minutes before your morning shower to shift cellulite.
35. Moisturise after your daily bath or shower while your skin is still a little damp as your skin absorbs better at this time than when it is completely dry.
36. Start using a toner to clean your skin and also tighten pores.
37. Remove your makeup at the end of the day by either washing them off or keeping cleansing wipes by your bedside to prevent clogged pores!
38. Exfoliate your skin once a week using mild soap and a washcloth, loofah or exfoliating gloves (my favourite!).
39. Avoid taking very hot steamy showers as this can dry out your skin.
40. Start using a product with glycolic acid or retinol, which can help prevent and dissolve fine lines, hyperpigmentation, uneven skin texture and acne.
Take better care of your hair.
41. Shampoo your hair every 2 days as washing your hair daily can strip it off its natural oils.
42. Don’t comb your hair immediately after you shower to avoid breakage. Instead, wrap it in a towel and let it dry for 10 minutes.
43. Use a wide-toothed comb to comb newly washed hair. This reduces chances of split ends.
44. Invest in an ionic hair dryer, which is gentler to hair and also dries your hair faster!
45. Avoid using the flatiron too often.
46. Use a heat protectant spray before using hot hair styling products.
47. Stop splitting your ends, instead trim them to prevent damaging your hair.
Improve dental care
48. Floss your teeth daily. Did you know that brushing alone cleans only 65% of your teeth?
49. Keep a toothbrush at your desk and brush after you finish your coffee or tea. This will help prevent staining.
50. Be flawsome! Start loving yourself for who you are, this includes wrinkles, flab, cellulite etc. Use these to guide self-improvement instead of self-loathing, and don’t let these hold you back!
Livia | The Skin and Beauty Blog